DA Determines Teen's Skull Fracture Resulted from 'Freak Accident'; Family Pursues Justice Over Bullying Concerns
- Pilipina Flores Carandang
- Oct 14
- 2 min read

Family Challenges DA’s 'Freak Accident' Verdict Following Teen’s Skull Injury
A small Alabama town is in turmoil over a case that has ignited protests, social media fury, and a family's persistent quest for answers.
In August, 16-year-old August Borden, a student at Deshler High School, was urgently hospitalized with severe injuries, including multiple skull and facial fractures, after collapsing near the school’s weight room. The US football player's parents described the scene as chaotic.
His mother, Kristen Van Devender, told PEOPLE: “It was chaos…a living nightmare,” as she recounted arriving on campus to find her son unconscious.
Since then, rumors have circulated throughout the Shoals community and online, with allegations of bullying, cover-ups, and demands for accountability.
Billboards with the message ‘Justice for August’ have even appeared along Alabama highways, as reported by WAFF, increasing the pressure on school officials and law enforcement to reveal the truth about what occurred that afternoon.

After weeks of speculation, the Madison County District Attorney’s Office has concluded its investigation, determining that Borden’s severe injuries resulted from a ‘freak accident’.
District Attorney Robert Broussard stated: “There have been many rumors, much speculation, and numerous conspiracy theories suggesting ‘This was a brutal assault’. I’m here to confirm that our investigation concludes this is absolutely not true.”
As reported by WAFF, investigators found that Borden and another teammate, who were friends, were leaving the workout facility when the other student playfully ‘bear hugged’ him from behind. Shortly after, Borden coughed, made an unusual noise, and collapsed. Witnesses reported he fell off a six-inch step, struck his face, and immediately began seizing.
Deputy District Attorney Tim Gann explained that Borden fell with ‘full force’, impacting both the side and front of his face because he couldn’t protect himself. He stated: “There is absolutely nothing in the criminal justice system applicable here because there was zero ill intent and zero reckless behavior involved. It’s a tragic accident, and the injuries are severe, but it’s not criminal.”

During the investigation, seventeen individuals were interviewed, including eight eyewitnesses.
Nonetheless, the decision has not quieted the critics. WAFF also reported that protesters outside the school this week stated the explanation ‘sounds like corruption and cover-up’.
Broussard has countered the criticism, stating: “It’s the court of public opinion.”
He further explained that this is largely a result of the social media era, adding: “Nowadays, you have this platform where everyone feels so self-important, and their opinion means so much, their mind is made up.”
August’s family remains doubtful.
His stepfather, Jason Borden, told AL.com: “When you look at the photos and all the evidence we have, to claim that there was absolutely no foul play involved and it’s just a total freak accident, it doesn’t make sense to me at all. It doesn’t.
It’s very shocking.”
Despite the DA’s decision, the Tuscumbia City Schools superintendent confirmed in a statement provided to PEOPLE that the district’s internal investigation is still underway.



Comments